Sunday, September 2, 2012

Day 9 - Dunedin


Woke up this morning and had a bit of a slow start to the morning.  What I didn’t notice when we looked at the unit was that there were no mixers in the bath or basin – do you know how cold it is to wash your hair with only cold water in Dunedin when the temps outside are about 3 or 4 deg ?  Well it is bloody cold – not only was my head cold when I was finished washing my hair but my hands were freezing as well.  There was very little water pressure and no shower curtain so showering wasn’t really an option !!!

It was about 9am by the time we were in the car and we took a drive to the Otago Peninsula.  Well it looked like we were driving next to some mud flats.  We drove for ages along the Peninsula and got to the Albatross Colony only to find that it was closed for renovations !!!!

We drove around looking at houses – some old, some new, some that looked like they might be holiday homes.  We were going to stop in at Larnach Castle but it cost $27.50 each to go through it and we decided we didn’t want to see it that much !!!! 
 
We also drove around the University of Otago - such lovely buildings and all the cherry blossom trees around the campus were just lovely.




 

We also drove up and down Baldwin Street, the steepest street in the world.  It was not the nicest road I have ever been on but given we have driven down Lombard Street in San Francisco (the windiest street in the world) we thought we had to do this one as well.  There was not much space to turn around at the top - guess the people who live at the top are fed up with everyone driving up and using their yards to turn around in !!!  I was very glad when we got to the bottom again !
 
Looking up Baldwin Street
 Driving down Baldwin Street

That took us a couple of hours and then we parked the car at the hotel and took a walk through town as some of the shops were still open.  Al saw a jacket that he thought was a good price at $100 for me – it was actually only $55 so he was even more pleased when he found that out after we had bought it !!!!  It is a longer jacket which covers my butt and it kept me toasty warm today.

I also bought a top for work and a circular scarf in a lovely green.

We had pizza for dinner from Surfin Slice – one of the nicest pizzas I have had in a very long time. 

I also saw why the spa wasn’t working  - Al had a man look at the instructions on the wall !!!!  So we had a nice spa last night before sitting down to watch the rugby – what a disappointing game.  I don’t think we could have played any worse if we tried !!!!!  I hope we can pull finger before the next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment